OT is the practice of using hardware or software that is used to control physical processes, devices and infrastructure. It includes systems that are used in manufacturing, energy, medicine, building management, and other industries.
OT monitors and manages industrial processes and manufacturing equipment’s and keep them running.
Components for OT
- Industrial Control System (ICS)
ICS are the main component of OT that includes different types of devices, systems, controls, and networks that manage a variety of industrial processes.
- Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA)
SCADA is a data collecting system from sensors, often at distributed sites which sends it to a central computer that manages and controls the data.
Challenges for OT security
- Lack of risk mitigation and remediation
- Lack of awareness among OT staff
- Hard to test production environments
- Limited security awareness
- Limited patching
How IT is different from OT Network Solution
IT mainly focuses on the user experience, performance of the transmission, ease of operation based on standards. Secondly, IT focuses on integrity, availability of system and confidentiality whereas OT focuses on the safe operation of plants having reliable data transmission for time-critical applications and also controls equipment’s, information technology and controls data.
Products of Operational Technology (OT)
Following are the products of OT marketed by different companies:
- Products In Operational Technology (OT) Security Market by Darktrace
- Nozomi Networks Guardian by Nozomi Networks
- Kaspersky Industrial CyberSecurity (KICS) by Kaspersky
- BOTsink by Attivo Networks
- Symantec Endpoint Security Symantec Endpoint Security
- Check Point Advanced Endpoint Threat Detection by Check Point Software Technologies
- Thales Luna Network HSM by Thales (Gemalto)
Note: The above information has been taken from Gartner website operational technology security, click here
Major OT systems attacks
- 2017 Petrochemical facilities Middle East
- 2016 Energy company Europe
- 2016 Dam attack USA
- 2015 Power company Ukraine
- 2014 Steel mill Germany
- 2010 Nuclear facilities Iran
If you want to more about it, then just drop an email to email@example.com or contact the undersigned.
About DocTooLss :
“We make Technology EaZy via Docs”
Follow us @doctools8 | Website: www.doctoolss.com| Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/doctoolss | Medium: https://medium.com/@doctoolss| Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DTdoctoolss/| Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/doc-tools-a302311a9/ | WordPress: https://doctoolss.wordpress.com/